Tuesday, August 16, 2016

How to make the Prim Boutis Hanging Angel Vase

Here's the promised basic method of how to make the little prim vase I demonstrated at Day With Dolls. To recap, the reason I chose boutis for her wings is so they look ethereal when they are hanging in a sunny window with either some fresh flowers or a slip of a plant you wish to root.
I used handkerchief linen linen from the linen store I listed on your wing pattern sheet because it has a nice loose weave that is also quite transparent to get the blunt tapestry needle that is laced with the double yarn in between the two layers without too much difficulty. Using a yarn threading aid is useful for this project and that item is also listed on the pattern sheet I passed around.
I am going to list a series of photos showing how to make this item. It uses a cleaned dish soap bottle (use a glue remover like Goo Be Gone to get the residue off after soaking the label) some wire for the armature, special cut out pouch to eventually be able to hold the live flowers or plant slips and a little sewing for her skirt using french seams and a bit of puffery to fill her arms and head. I cut out the opening in the skirt after she's all done and just cast off the raw edges so that it aligns easily with the precut hole in the bottle.
I am sure that with your experience as doll makers you will easily see how this all works and feel free to make your favorite head and arms. I demonstrate a prim method which I felt lent a certain whimsy to the project! After you are done, secure a strong enough hanging cord, fill her with water and put in your desired flora! Have fun!

Sunday, August 14, 2016

To all my new friends met at Day With Dolls, August 13, 2016

I really enjoyed meeting with you and demonstrating my technique of boutis. ;-) I have promised that I will post each step of the wings and how to make the body of the window angel soon. Please check back in a few days or so and I will have the photos up with explanations. I hope everyone had as much fun as I did despite the heat! and a huge thank you to Lexi <3 See you all soon ~ xx dallas

Friday, August 12, 2016

New dolls!

The top one is Ginger. She is 21 inches overall, 11 inches sitting, all cloth body which is my pattern, paper clay sculpted head with silk gauze overlay, painted, rayon thread hair. She can be posed sitting or stood with the aid of a stand. The second one is called Barefoot Butterfly Ballerina. She is 15 inches tall, my own pattern with a paperclay sculpted face with silk gauze overlay, painted, cloth body, rayon thread hair. She stands by herself with a *little* careful balancing. These will be for sale in Uncanny Gallery in Kingston, NY soon.

Monday, December 14, 2015

A new project

This is an example of boutis, a new-found method of figurative fabric art that has captured my imagination and I will be doing a lot more of these! Boutis is an old-fashioned way of adding dimension to fabric that is meant to be back lit (as in a window) to show the outlines and shadings of the surface. It's a form of quilting in that two layers of fabric are stuffed inside compartments made with stitching. This example is made with 100% gauze linen and filled with wool yarn thread by thread with a tapestry needle. Her outline was done by me using a drawing I did on my free-motion sewing machine with #50 quilting thread. I'm kind of taken with her. I hope you are, as well.
I plan to add a border to her filled with loose balsam. I think she will make a lovely ornament year-round, too.
This is what she looks like with the back lighting.

Friday, January 2, 2015

To Start the New Year Off!

Inasmuch as I can't stand my camera, here's pics on my newest Pretty Little Fool just about done. There's shoes to be made yet and some tweaking of her hat/hair arrangement... but she's coming along. She's a large 32 inch doll made of fabric and fully articulated with a silk gauze over paper clay bust with a head that turns. Pretty Little Fools are meant to be a boudoir doll I have been developing over the last year. I couldn't wait to share her, though, and Happy New Year!

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

At last! this year's Hoffman Challenge entry: "Butterfly Kisses"

This year's fabric could have been interpreted a zillion different ways, but I decided to distill it down to a very limited palette. Butterfly Kisses is 16 inches including the stand. Her face is silk gauze over clay painted with acrylic paints and water color pencils. Her hair is Lincoln mohair applied in wefts and glued for security for her travels if she is selected to travel. The fabric of her sleeve caps and the bodice is a not so obvious motif in the challenge fabric that I fussy cut out and flocked. The butterflies are double-faced from the challenge fabric and so secure in their fastening with upholstery thread that I could pick her up by each butterfly! So they are secure for traveling, if she is selected. The top ruff is 52 inches of ribbon (an amazing fact) and each skirt is 44 inches in circumference (another amazing fact). I think I really like how she came out.